A residential apartment can easily catch fire. This is because there are so many things that can be potential causes, from faulty appliances to cigarettes lying around. In Fremont, the damage is worsened by the closeness of buildings in the area.
Not to worry; there are measures you can take towards residential fire prevention. But in order to understand how to prevent them, you need to first know what causes them. Here are a few common things to watch out for.
- Faulty Electrical Equipment
Any electrical appliance can cause a fire if it is faulty or frayed. A good example is a microwave, which is a common cause. An overloaded extension can also cause fire due to high current flow. It is thus important to always check and ensure all your appliances are in good condition.
- Smoking in Individual Homes
An interesting statistic shows that fires that start in the bedrooms cause 73% of all house fire fatalities. But the cause of this has almost nothing to do with electrical appliances. Such fires are caused by cigarettes that are left halfway burning.
- Portable Heaters
Another cause you need to be careful about is portable heaters. These can easily create fire with anything, from furniture to paper lying around. To be safe from this, you need to ensure the heater is placed in the right place.
- Flammable Liquids
Contrary to what most people think, it is not just petrol that can cause a fire. Even the common things you have in your home like methylated spirit and kerosene can also cause big residential fires.
Candles are pretty and smell good but if left an attended can cause a room to burst in flames. Always blow a candle out before leaving the room and keep them away from easily flammable materials such as books.
The prevention measures above are good to avoid fires. However, it’s a good idea to have an insurance cover to ensure you’re covered in the unlikely events of a fire breakout.